Steps To Take After An Accident
If you have been involved in an automobile accident, it is important that you take certain actions both at the scene of the accident and shortly after the accident:
- Call the police so that a report can be prepared as to how the accident happened.
- Exchange information with the driver of the other vehicle involved in the accident, including name, address, phone number.
- Record the year, make and model of the other vehicle as well as its license plate number.
- Make sure to get the name of the company providing insurance coverage on the other vehicle.
- Take photographs of the damage to both vehicles and of the scene of the accident, including street signs and other landmarks that show exactly where the accident occurred. If you are unable to take any photographs, your lawyer will be able to do so.
- Obtain the identity of any witnesses, including their names, addresses and phone numbers, as well as what they saw. Your attorney can follow up with them to obtain their written statements.
Seek Medical Treatment Immediately
If injured, seek medical treatment. You should not wait to receive medical treatment for your injuries, as the longer you wait, the more likely that the insurance company will make the argument that something other than the accident was the cause of your injuries or that the injuries cannot be all that serious if you did not seek treatment right away.
Contact An Attorney About The Accident
It is important to speak with a lawyer as soon as you can after an accident.
At the Law Offices of Ira C. Yellin, LLC, in Franklin, we are prepared to assist you right after your accident, taking all of the proper steps in order to ensure that you receive the medical treatment you need, that the medical bills are paid and that you eventually receive just compensation for your injuries.
What you do or do not do right after an accident can have serious consequences on your case. If you have been injured in an accident, do not delay.