A Reliable Partner. An Experienced Adviser.

Photo of Ira C. Yellin
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Personal Injury
  4.  » Motor Vehicle Accidents

Turn To A Skilled Attorney After An Accident

If you often drive or ride in motor vehicles in or around the Boston area, odds are that eventually you will be involved in a traffic accident due to the fault of another driver (or the driver of the car in which you were a passenger). It is also quite likely that at some point, you may be injured as a result of an automobile accident. If that happens, there are several things you should do after the accident.

You also have various rights under the automobile insurance policies of both the vehicle you were in at the time of the accident and of the other vehicle involved in the accident. This is true whether any of the vehicles involved was a car, truck, van, sport utility vehicle (SUV), taxicab or, with a few exceptions, a motorcycle.

We Will Work For The Compensation You Need

When you are injured in a motor vehicle accident in Massachusetts, you may be able to receive compensation for your pain and suffering under the bodily injury portion of the automobile insurance policy. If you were driving at the time of the accident, you must be able to prove that the other driver was more at fault than you were to be entitled to collect for your pain and suffering. If you were a passenger, you would have the right to such a claim against the other driver and/or the driver of the car you were occupying, depending on who was at fault for the accident.

What Are The Requirements For Seeking Compensation?

In either case, whether a driver or passenger, you would also need to prove that, as a result of the accident, you either:

  • Incurred $2,000 in reasonable and necessary medical treatment
  • Suffered a broken bone
  • Have a permanent disfigurement or scar
  • Suffered a permanent loss of body functions

These requirements are referred to as the tort threshold — what is necessary to have the legal right to sue for the pain and suffering caused by a car accident.

In addition to the amount of insurance coverage available under the automobile insurance policy of the driver or drivers responsible for the accident, there may be additional insurance available under your own automobile insurance policy or the policy of a household member. This benefit is called under-insurance, as it will potentially provide additional compensation for your pain and suffering if there is inadequate insurance available under the insurance of the responsible driver.

In cases where the responsible driver was not insured or left the scene of the accident without being identified, you can access a similar benefit under your insurance policy referred to as uninsured benefits.

Get The Medical Treatment You Need

Whatever the facts and circumstances, if you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, you want to make sure that you get the medical treatment you need without paying the medical bills. You also want to make sure that you are properly compensated for your lost wages and pain and suffering resulting from the accident. To do that, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer who is knowledgeable of all of the terms, conditions and coverages of the automobile insurance policy, who knows how to deal with insurance companies and who is determined to get you what you deserve for the suffering that was caused by your accident. At the Law Offices of Ira C. Yellin, LLC, you will find just such an attorney.

Our Franklin Car Accident Lawyer Offers Free Consultations

With offices conveniently located in Franklin, the Law Offices of Ira C. Yellin, LLC, is readily available to assist you with your most urgent and pressing legal needs.

For more information or to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced lawyer, please call our Franklin office at 508-528-8885, or email the offices today.